Monday 24 February 2014

Mani(c) Monday: Rimmel Sparkle & Punched Leather Effect

I have worn this manicure for more than a week and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Its sparkly and cool and I did it a bit differently this time: I put the bling on all the other fingers as opposed to the other way round.


First off, I want to apologise. I had previously seen the "Punched Leather Effect" part of the manicure on a blog somewhere, and I thought I had saved the link in my favourites folder, but I didn't. I have trawled the internet looking for it for the last 2 days using every kind of search and I just cant find it. But if you are reading this and it is your idea, please get in touch so that I can link it back to you.


I won the Rimmel Space Dust in a give-away from Emma (her Fluffiness of Fluff and Fripperies) and I couldn't wait to wear it. It lived up to my expectations. It is a textured polish, packed FULL of glitter particles of multiple sizes that gives good coverage in one coat, but two coats is better. Its not too rough, but it is textured and may catch on fine hosiery.

My statement nail is a trickier one. As I said earlier I don't know who to credit this too, but it is a simple technique that looks very cool, and needs very little to do: a dotting tool and a matte top coat.


I painted 3 coats of NYC Expert Last Nail Polish in 190 Long Time Lavender. You need three coats of this to get rid of the visible nail line. Long Lime Lavender has a slight silvery shimmer in it which only comes out in certain lights. But I didn't choose it for that. I chose it because I liked how it looks against the hard sparkle of the silver glitter.


Then a quick coat of Wet 'n Wild Matte Top Coat, and I leave it to dry for 30 - 40 seconds and dipping a smallish dotting tool into a bit of water, to stop it from sticking to the polish, push a hole into the polish using firm, steady, even pressure through the polish right down to the nail. Don't twist the tool because if the polish sticks it will ripple around the edges. Dot your chosen pattern into the polish, wetting the dotting tool between dots until you are happy with what you have.

Another coat of Matte top coat to seal everything and smooth over any ridges and you are set.


What do you think? Like it? Loathe it? Meh it?  Let me know!






8 comments:

  1. That looks awesome. The punched leather particularly. How do you get the edge of your nail varnish so perfect. Mine's pretty good 9 times out of 10, but probably not that perfect. Is it practice or you use something afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The free edge or the edge against the cuticle? It its the cuticle side: I paint, very very carefully there! I sometimes use one of those mistake correcting pens and just run it back and forth over the cuticle, but then use LOTS of cuticle oil!
      If its the free edge, I actually run the brush around the tip of my nail to cover the edge with polish before I paint the nail bed.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. For info and rules go to: http://marshmellowbyeva.blogspot.com.es/2014/02/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Space dust is fab! Love the punched leather look ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...