Tuesday 3 July 2012

Actually it's not the same. My first Openly Negative review.

I am actually angry writing this post. Seething quietly, like an earthquake. Why? Why? because after nearly 6 weeks of stressing because I couldn't find my holy grail cleanser on the shelves of Boots stores (I tried 6 stores, yes SIX, from Newry all the way down to bloody Dublin) and I finally managed to find my cleanser. Re-packaged, and bloody Re-formulated.

my first thumbs down on a product.... so disappointed.

That awful, god-forsaken word that NOBODY wants to hear about their favourite product. Re-formulated.

the all new "hip" packaging, its pretty, but not my favourite

I used up the last of my old formula Boots Botanic Cleansing Balm, and moved straight on to the new tub. Its disappointing. The old tub was nice and mid-ranged looking with its lovely silver screw lid that was easy to grip and open and closed properly without hassles. The new one is white and all "Hip and Young" looking and its smooth as a baby's bum. Try opening it with wet/damp hands. Go on, I DARE YOU.

the lid is more slippery than an eel if you hands are wet...

I never used the cloth in the last tub, I donated it to my daughter. She uses it as a blanket for her Barbie. I did the same with the new one because it works a treat as a waterproof tent for Barbie, Really, it does. I prefer to use my face cloths (which incidentally probably need replacing).

And when you finally manage to get it open, you can immediately see its different to the old Wonderful Miracle stuff. Its far more solid, even when the ambient temperature is nice and warm, the new gunk is stiff and needs to be scratched out with my nail.

it just isn't the same as my beloved Auld Wan...

It melts the same and smells mostly the same. But its not. The new gunk is harder to remove from my face than the Old Nice Balm. It doesn't shift the residual mascara that usually lingers after I do my usual pre-cleanse. Infact, it seems to set it under my eyes and the residue of the cleanser clings to my skin. I don't like it. Its not the same as the old one, and its not any better.  But I decided to give it a chance. Maybe it would win me over. It didn't.

After just 2 short weeks of using the new gunk, it seems to have enabled two MASSIVE HORMONAL CYSTICAL (I know its not a real word, but give me a break here) SPOTS on my poor poor Jaw. So massive and cystical are they, that the Sanctuary Mask is doing nada for them, neither are asprin masks. They just bloody hurt. Next stop: steriod cream.

The proof in in the ingredients.
So for posterity, here is the inci list for Boots Botanics Organic Face Soothing Cleansing  Balm:
Butyrosperum parkii (shea) butter, Simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) oil, Cera Alba (bees wax), Cetearyl alcohol, Sorbitan laurate, Persea gratissima oil, Citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) oil, Limolene, Linalool, Pelargonium graveolens oil, Citronellol, Rosa damascena flower oil, Geranoil, Citral.

And this is the inci list for the Boots Botanics Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm:
Olea europa (olive) fruit oil, Simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) oil, Cera Alba (bees wax), Butyrosperum parkii (shea) butter, Prunus anygdalus (sweet almond) oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Rosa canina seed oil, Limolene, Citronellol, Pelargonium graveolens oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis peel extract, Linalool, Citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) oil, Citrus medica limonum (lemon) oil, Geranoil, Parfum, Citral.


inci list for the new gunk


Another thing... its flipping MORE EXPENSIVE!!!! the Lovely Auld Balm cost just €9.59 for the 70g tub. The NKOTB (I wasn't a huge fan of the band either) costs €13.95 for a 70g tub.


Granted, the name is not EXACTLY the same, and I think that this is where Boots think they have gotten away with this. I recon that most people who use the new product are going to be disappointed. I don't like it. I have a hole in my night time skin care routine. A hole. 


I have something new that I am trying at the moment, and we will see how it goes. If that doesn't work, expect a DIY post on how to make your own Balm Cleanser.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no :(

    I hate when products that I love are re-formulated and end up not being as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Paula, I am on the hunt for a new one again...

      Delete
    2. I hope you find something quickly and the search doesn't drag on too much.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...